We are your neighborhood farmer

We are your neighborhood farmers -- Get in touch at 707 347-9465 or wmorgenthaler@gmail.com

Thursday, July 19, 2018

Whole earth catalog... I was there and indeed I was inspired

Although I did not see it until 1972, together with my communards I was inspired by the prospect of building a new world that was simple and functional, do it yourself and not destructive. I was a maker and this catalog was full of cool, simple ideas and gadgets.  At the deepest level we were dropping out of a system that seemed founded on abuse of spirituality of nature of people and that disregarded issues of social justice and wallowed in a crass plastic culture of consumption, war, violence and domination.

The book itself was in fact just a catalog of stuff and commentary. It was not deep nor academic but rather was a signpost at a time of  historic cultural shift that went mainstream with the counterculture and has left an indelible mark on consciousness in the West.

No comments:

Post a Comment